HOUSING ACT 1988, Section 21(4)(a)

As amended by the HOUSING ACT 1996


Assured Shorthold Tenancy: Periodic Tenancy

Notice Requiring Possession



(i) Name and address of tenant.           To:                             






(ii) Name & address of landlord            From:                         

(Note B)                                                 C/o:                                   





                                               ADDRESS OF DWELLING

I give you notice that I require possession of the dwelling house known as



 (iii) See Note C                            DATE OF EXPIRY







(iv) Name and address to be                Landlord's           

completed when notice is                      Agent:                        

served by agent.                                                             





A.      Where an assured shorthold tenancy has become a periodic tenancy, a court must make an order for possession if the landlord has given a notice in writing.


B.      Where there are joint landlords, at least one of them must give this notice.


C.      This notice must expire:

              (a) on the last day of a period of the tenancy.

              (b) at least two months after this notice is given.

              (c) no sooner than the earliest day on which the tenancy could ordinarily be brought to an end by a notice to quit.


*        1. If the tenant or licensee does not leave the dwelling, the landlord or licensor must get an order for possession from the court before the tenant or licensee can lawfully be evicted. The landlord or licensor cannot apply for such an order before the notice to quit or notice to determine has run out.

*        2. A tenant or licensee who does not know if he has any right to remain in possession after a notice to quit or a notice to determine runs out can obtain advice from a solicitor. Help with all or part of the cost of legal advice and assistance may be available under the legal aid scheme. He should also be able to obtain information from a Citizens' Advice Bureau, a Housing Aid Centre or a rent officer.